The Office of the Ombudsman is expected to be filled soon. State Minister Joseph Harmon has revealed that Government will be making an announcement to this effect by the end of April.Minister of State, Joseph Harmon“We’re still in the process of identifying that person, and we believe that by the end of April we will be in a position to make that announcement,” Harmon told reporters at last week’s post-Cabinet press briefing at the Ministry of the Presidency.This pronouncement by the State Minister comes months after he had said that Government would have appointed a new Ombudsman within the first quarter of 2017. At the time, he had noted that the appointment requires “careful consideration” and consultations with the Opposition Leader, in accordance with the law.The late Justice Winston Moore was Guyana’s last Ombudsman“I can say to you that, in fact, we are looking at several persons: which ones we have basically decided on, what are the names of the persons we are likely to put up; but we would have to discuss that with the Leader of the Opposition, and to get his ‘buy in’ on it,” Harmon had stated.The last Ombudsman, Justice Winston Moore, died in September 2016. He had been appointed to the position in January 2014. The ombudsman’s office is an independent, impartial body providing free services in investigating complaints that haven’t been solved by an organisation or public body against which the complaint is directed. The role of the ombudsman is also to investigate complaints of cases that have been handled badly or unfairly by another agency, thereby making someone suffer as a result.Minister Harmon told reporters on Thursday last that Government is also looking to fill the chairmanship of the Police Complaints Authority. It was revealed back in January that outgoing Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA), Justice Cecil Kennard, had been asked to step down from the post because of his age. While his termination letter was dated December 31, 2016, Justice Kennard had requested, and was given, additional time on the job to wrap up his unfinished work. He is expected to officially step down by this month end.Minister Harmon has further outlined that Government wants to fill several other public service posts that are vacant, including that of the Public Service Appellate Tribunal, which he noted has been languishing for many years under the previous administration.Outgoing Chairman of Police Complaints Authority (PCA), Justice Cecil Kennard“We’re looking to ensure that that body is also activated, because in the absence of that, public servants who want to challenge their dismissals and so on have to engage in the expensive process of going to the High Court, and in many cases, the system does not produce the kind of results that they are looking for in a very timely manner,” he noted.The State Minister noted that these and other appointments are on the front burner of the current administration, and all these issues are expected to be addressed very shortly.
This July 38,400 people are working in the region. In July of 2012, the unemployment rate was 4.3 per cent.Across the province, the unemployment rate increased to 6.6 per cent from 6.4 in June, while the national rate also increased to 7.2 per cent from 7.1 in June.- Advertisement –
0Shares0000Referee Bibiana Steinhaus, pictured during a 2017 match, was insulted by Hertha Berlin fans © AFP/File / Tobias SCHWARZBERLIN, Germany, Apr 9 – Borussia Moenchengladbach have offered their apologies to the Bundesliga’s only female referee Bibiana Steinhaus after a group of their fans called her a ‘whore’ during a league game with Hertha Berlin.Gladbach beat Hertha 2-1 on Saturday thanks to rapid-fire goals by Thorgan Hazard after the video assistant referee (VAR) twice intervened. With the hosts 1-0 down, Steinhaus ruled out a 54th minute goal by Gladbach winger Patrick Herrmann when the VAR spotted an offside in the build-up.And the 39-year-old awarded a penalty, following a foul by Hertha defender Marvin Lustenberger on Borussia’s Nico Elvedi, only after a long delay consulting with the VAR.Her decisions incensed some home fans, who insulted Steinhaus, and Gladbach’s director of sport Max Eberl made a public apology.“As a club, we have to apologise to Mrs Steinhaus,” Eberl told broadcaster ZDF.“She is an excellent referee and such nonsense has no place on a football field.”Steinhaus, who made history by becoming the first female referee in a top league last year, said she was unaware of the insults.“I did not hear that at all. My focus and concentration were totally on the action on the pitch,” she told German daily Bild.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
1 Massimiliano Allegri Paris Saint-Germain want to make Massimiliano Allegri their new manager after Arsenal snubbed the Juventus boss.The Gunners had been linked with appointing Allegri this summer as doubts grew over the future of Arsene Wenger.In the end, however, Arsenal opted to give Wenger a new two-year deal instead of swooping for Allegri.But now, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, the Juve boss could be on the move anyway as PSG have made an offer to bring him to the French capital.The French giants endured a disappointing season during Unai Emery’s first year in charge, finishing second in Ligue 1 to champions Monaco, and they are reportedly ready to axe him for Allegri.It is claimed PSG would be willing to pay the Italian £8.7m-a-year to tempt him into leaving Turin.Juventus, for their part, are still hoping Allegri will stay and general manager Beppe Marotta will meet him for talks on Wednesday over a new deal.
Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ LATEST LIVING THE DREAM targets Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? However, the Spaniard has had a miserable time in England since then and he was loaned back to Depor last season.Perez is keen to leave Arsenal this summer, either on loan or permanently, and he has agreed to join Fiorentina.The striker has reportedly held talks with the Italian club and he has provisionally agreed personal terms with them.Fiorentina are now set for showdown talks with Arsenal and a permanent deal is on the cards if a £7million fee can be agreed. Arsenal flop Lucas Perez is set to leave the club permanently this summer. TOP WORK Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade IN DEMAND REVEALED The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father RANKED Latest Transfer News Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer moving on three-way race 1 targets Arsenal flop Lucas Perez has approved a move to Fiorentina, according to Sky Italia.The 29-year-old joined the Gunners two years ago from Deportivo La Coruna in deal worth £17.1million. Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing
Tottenham issue immediate ban to supporter who threw cup at Kepa gameday cracker punished no dice Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January The defender made his international debut for America in 2017 ALTERED Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT gameday smart causal Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures TOTTENHAM NEWS Carter-Vickers, left, has experience of the Championship already Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card possible standings REVEALED 2 REVEALED Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener 2 Tottenham Hotspur defender Cameron Carter-Vickers could be sent on loan to Swansea City for the rest of the season.The 20-year-old America international will not be in manager Mauricio Pochettino’s squad and the club are happy to let him move to Wales to be part of Graham Potter’s Championship side.The Swans are in desperate need of new defenders having sold Alfie Mawson to Fulham and Federico Fernandez to Newcastle in the window.Carter-Vickers, who came through the youth academy at White Hart Lane, has spent time on loan at Sheffield United and Ipswich already. targets “Last year was massive for me, on the pitch and off the pitch,” he said during Spurs’ pre-season about his time away from north London. “Moving away from home and stuff like that, it builds your character and helps you grow up a bit.“Playing week in, week out, it builds you as a player and as a person. Mentally and physically, it’s demanding.“I played a lot of games in the Championship, which is a hard league. I definitely feel like, [coming into] this pre-season, I’ve improved. I definitely feel more confident out there.Carter-Vickers is due to join this week, according to SunSport, with Swansea facing Leeds United on Tuesday and picking from just two fit centre backs.Born and raised in Southend, Essex, the young centre-back qualified to play for the USA through his father, Howard, a former basketball player and Carter-Vickers made his debut for the senior team in 2017 against Portugal.
THEY are Donegal’s most important and ancient oak woods, and now the forest at Ballyarr is getting a makeover.The woodlands near Ramelton are specially protected under national and European laws.But visitors to the 30-hectare site have often been put off by the deep muddy paths around the forest. Now however the National Parks and Wildlife Service are laying new paths and carrying out new conservation work there.The move has been welcomed by local TD Joe McHugh who had lobbied for the upgrade.“Ballyarr Wood is not just important from a conservation point of view in Donegal but is recognised nationally as one of the country’s finest oak woods,” said Deputy McHugh.“I know it means a great deal to people in the area who use it often and I’m delighted this work is now underway to make it more accessible.” DONEGAL’S MOST IMPORTANT OAK WOOD GETS A MAKEOVER was last modified: September 17th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A Taste of South Africa is a new show about food, being filmed with British chef Matt Tebbutt. It explores local favourites and the fascinating history behind them, and is set to air during the second half of the year.British chef Matt Tebbutt is filming a new show in the country called A Taste of South Africa. (Image: Media Update)Brand South Africa reporter“This is the show that I’ve always wanted to make,” said British chef Matt Tebbutt about the filming of his new foodie show A Taste of South Africa.“To explore, learn, taste and understand such a totally diverse country such as South Africa is a really exciting prospect for me. I want to meet the people behind the food, to learn about the history of the dishes and to cook alongside them and expand my own knowledge of the local cuisine.”The first leg of shooting wrapped on 16 January, and the crew will head to Cape Town in March.“South Africa provides a culturally diverse, exciting, engaging, and exquisite environment in which to pursue the love of food,” said show producer Rebecca Fuller-Campbell.“The fascinating history of this country and the sheer variety of cultures means that every episode will offer a fresh and different look at the rich gastronomic traditions of the country.”Tebbutt traverses South Africa in the 10-part show, sampling different dishes and regional specialities, and digging into the history of local cuisine. He travels through Gauteng, the Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, Mpumalanga, the Western Cape and Eastern Cape.The show features food such as sorghum, maize, chisa nyama, bunny chow, umphokoqo, koeksusters and waterblommetjie bredie.Day #6 of the shoot for A Taste of SA with @matt_tebbutt #mealiesinMaritzburg pic.twitter.com/wUN1z4IgOb— Oxyg3n Media (@oxyg3n_media) January 12, 2017Along the way, he features local chefs, among them Nelson Mandela’s former personal chef, Xoliswa Ndoyiya, and Mpho Tshukudu, co-author of the cookbook Eat-Ting.Tebbutt also visits Marble, David Higgs’ restaurant in Johannesburg.Filming with @matt_tebbutt for his South Africa show… pic.twitter.com/mXgPM3xVu5— Marble Restaurant (@Marble_SA) January 9, 2017Speaking to talk radio 702, Tebbutt relayed an anecdote Ndoyiya shared with him. When she was personally interviewed by Mandela, he asked if she made comfort food. On replying yes, she got the job.The show is being filmed by Oxyg3n Media and has been acquired by Discovery (Africa and Poland) as well as by UKTV in the UK.Tebbutt is no stranger to the camera. He has been involved in various cooking shows in the UK, including Food Unwrapped, Market Kitchen and Saturday Kitchen.Source: Media UpdateWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
A day after the Supreme Court declined to interfere in the case of the unopposed victory of the Trinamool Congress on many seats in the West Bengal Panchayat elections, violence was reported on Saturday in certain parts of the State over the panchayat board formation.One person was killed in the Uttar Dinajpur district when violence broke out in the Islamapur area over electing a panchayat pradhan. Lal Mohammad died of injuries in a crude bomb explosion. Four others sustained injuries in the violence, said the police.According to the Opposition, the violence reflected feud within the Trinamool Congress. Trinamool Congress district president Amal Acharya admitted to factionalism and said that the party will not tolerate this.Violence was also reported in Malda, Birbhum and Cooch Behar districts. In some areas, the election of panchayat pradhans was suspended by the administration over apprehension of violence.Opposition parties could not file nominations in 20,698 (35.26 %) seats for the three-tier panchayat elections . In the remaining seats which went to polls in May 2018, the Trinamool Congress won 95% of the zila parishad seats, 81% of the panchayat samitis, and nearly 67 % of the gram panchayat seats.In some panchayats, Opposition parties came together to keep the Trinamool Congress out.
India are facing hosts England in the Women’s World Cup final today at the iconic Lord’s stadium.On their road to the final, India have won six of their 8 matches — the two losses coming against South Africa and Australia in the league stage.This is the second time in the history of India women when they have the reached the final of the World Cup.The last time India were in the final was in 2005 Women’s World Cup where they were up against Australia and were decimated by 98 runs.This time though, India beat the defending champions in the semi-final to make it to the last step thanks to a blistering 171 not out in 115 balls by Harmanpreet Kaur.India had defeated England earlier in the tournament opener by 35 runs but since then, England have gone on to win all their matches to reach the final.India have looked a compact unit this year and the most interesting thing about Women in Blue has been to see different players stepping up for the team on different days.Be it from Smriti Mandhana, Punam Raut, Mithali Raj, Veda Krishnamurthy, Deepti Sharma and Harmanpreet in the batting department to Ekta Bisht, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Deepti and of course Jhulan Goswami in the bowling unit.Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished the girls all the best for the final on Twitter.As our women’s cricket team plays the World Cup finals today, I join the 125 crore Indians in wishing them the very best! @BCCIWomen- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017He also posted a series of tweets applauding the efforts of all the players and spoke of the efforts that each player has put throughout the Women’s World Cup in England.advertisementCaptain Mithali Raj has been leading from the front. Her cool approach to the game shall surely help the entire team. @M_Raj03- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017All the best @mandhana_smriti! Have a great game out there and play with calm and poise.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017India wishes Poonam Raut the very best for the Women’s World Cup Final. Her game makes all of us very proud.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Who is not a fan of Harmanpreet Kaur? Her stellar innings in semi finals will always be remembered. Do your best today! @ImHarmanpreet- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Good luck to Deepti Sharma for the finals. She adds immense value to the team & her game has changed the course of many matches.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017The experienced Veda Krishnamurthy gives a much needed stability to the middle order. All the best for today. @vedakmurthy08- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Sushma Verma plays the important role of the wicket keeper. Remember, catches win matches 🙂 @ImSushVerma- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Jhulan Goswami is India’s pride, whose wonderful bowling helps the team in key situations. All the best Jhulan.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Shikha Pandey’s all round performances are crucial to the team. Best of luck!- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Poonam Yadav’s fantastic bowling can be lethal for even the best batsmen. Best wishes!- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017Rajeshwari Gayakwad is known for her economic bowling performances. Good luck!- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 23, 2017