Coco Gauff, 15-year-old tennis phenom who beat Venus Williams, is out at Wimbledon

first_imgJuly 8, 2019 /Sports News – National Coco Gauff, 15-year-old tennis phenom who beat Venus Williams, is out at Wimbledon Beau Lund Coco is terrific! https://t.co/13vsVKdjFP— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) July 5, 2019“She’s one of my role models,” Gauff said of Obama’s tweet about her, according to People. “So it was just cool to see that she knows I exist.”But above all, it’s Gauff’s athletic performance on those famed grass courts that has garnered attention for the young phenom.After beating Williams, she beat Magdaléna Rybáriková to reach the third round, where she faced Polona Hercog of Slovenia.That match on Friday cemented her place in history, as she fought back from two match points, including a second set tiebreak, to come out on top. In doing so, Gauff became the youngest player to make it to the second week of Wimbledon since 1991.Gauff also caused some conversation with her entrance in the mixed doubles Wimbledon tournament, when Brit Jay Clarke left original partner Harriet Dart to instead play with Gauff at the last minute. They did, however, lose in the opening round.“If somebody told me this maybe three weeks ago, I probably wouldn’t believe it,” Gauff said after her loss on Monday. “But I think just putting in the work definitely raised my confidence because I knew how hard I worked and I knew what shots I could make and what was possible.”“I’m only 15,” she continued. “Like, I’ve not nearly gotten or developed my game. I started tennis at six. I’m so excited to see, if I continue to work hard, what other success I can do in the future.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailShi Tang/Getty Images(LONDON) — Coco Gauff, the 15-year-old tennis player who burst onto the professional scene with a stunning victory over Venus Williams last week, is leaving Wimbledon with a loss in straight sets — and a host of new fans ready to motivate her for the next tournament.“Your journey is far from over, @CocoGauff,” tennis legend Billie Jean King tweeted. “Looking forward to watching your future successes on the court and off. #BigFan”Gauff’s eye-catching debut at Wimbledon came to an end Monday in the fourth round with a loss to Romanian star Simona Halep, 27, who was seeded No. 7, 6-3, 6-3.center_img Written by The No.1 Court crowd rises to acknowledge all the excitement @CocoGauff has given us And remember – this is just the beginning… #Wimbledon pic.twitter.com/UBiOYSxPeU— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 8, 2019“I hope they learned about me that I’m a fighter,” Gauff said in a post-match press conference after her loss about her new fans. “I’ll never give up. I hope they learned from me that, I mean, anything is possible if you work hard, just continue to dream big.”It’s likely Gauff’s Wimbledon success, which made her an overnight sensation, will outlive her loss. In the first round of ladies’ singles, Gauff beat her icon, Williams, 39, 6-4, 6-4. To get there in the first place, Gauff became the youngest player to ever qualify for Wimbledon.She and her parents became visibly emotional after that match, and they quickly won over tennis fans everywhere. In an interview with GMA, Gauff’s parents credited Venus and her sister Serena Williams for paving the way.“We hadn’t seen many African-American women in the sport, so when they started winning and having success and trailblazing, some of the challenges that they went through made it a lot easier to get into the sport and it allowed us to be a lot more confident about choosing [tennis],” Gauff’s father, Corey, said.Gauff, who has been competing while taking school tests, has been humbled and excited by the attention she’s getting — including from Beyoncé’s mom, Tina Knowles, Jaden Smith and Michelle Obama.last_img read more

4-H leadership day

first_imgMore than 245 4-H youths, leaders and volunteers traveled to Atlanta for the 11th Annual Leadership Day and 4-H Day at the Georgia State Capitol on Monday, Feb. 6. Sponsored by the Department of Community Affairs, the event brings together leaders from across Georgia to share best practices and identify ways to improve leadership efforts in Georgia. Held at the Atlanta Freight Depot, the annual event recognizes leadership programs sponsored by DCA, including Georgia 4-H, the Fanning Institute’s Community Leadership Program and the Georgia Academy for Economic Development. In all, more than 500 youth, county leadership team members, graduates of the Georgia Academy for Economic Development and government officials attended.The day included speeches from Governor Nathan Deal, Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle, Speaker of the House David Ralston, DCA Commissioner Mike Beatty and Development Manager and Georgia 4-H alumna Lisa Gipson. Members of the Georgia 4-H Performing Arts group, Clovers & Co. including Jado Cato of Henry County, Clay McArthur of Pickens County, Gracie Rowe of Heard County, Garrett Collins and Ansley Hutcheson of Butts County, Destan Musgrove of Crisp County and Tifara Brown of Ben Hill County, provided special entertainment for the day.While in Atlanta, 4-Hers also visited the State Capitol to meet with their representatives, tour the capitol and witness the legislative process in action. State 4-H President Dowdy White of Crisp County addressed both the House and Senate and thanked them for their support of 4-H over the past year. Senator Johnny Grant and Representatives Richard Smith and Rick Jasperse hosted the 4-Hers’ visit. Proclamations in both the house and senate recognized 4-H honorees.last_img read more

Phillies’ Odubel Herrera on leave at least 2 more weeks after arrest

first_imgThe 2016 All-Star has not been productive even when healthy, though, carrying a .222/.288/.341 slash line in 39 games. He also has just one home run this season after hitting a career-high 22 last year. Herrera is in the third season of a five-year contract that guarantees him $30.5 million. After playing without their starting center fielder for a week, the Phillies acquired Jay Bruce from the Mariners on Sunday to shore up their outfield depth. While Bruce can’t play center, the veteran provides Gabe Kapler some more options as Scott Kingery and Andrew McCutchen hold down the middle of the outfield, with McCutchen also playing left field and Kingery continuing to get starts at third base. The Phillies already have had to make do without Herrera for a stretch this year, as he spent time on the injured list with a hamstring strain in late April and early May.  Fernando Tatis Jr. injury update: Padres rookie phenom (hamstring) to start rehab The Phillies will be without Odubel Herrera for at least two more weeks. Major League Baseball announced Monday that Herrera’s administrative leave has been extended through June 17. The 27-year-old outfielder was arrested last week after being accused of assaulting his girlfriend at an Atlantic City casino. center_img The alleged incident occurred the evening of May 27 at the Golden Nugget casino, and MLB placed Herrera on leave the following day. A police report obtained by the Philadelphia Inquirer said Herrera’s 20-year-old companion had “hand print markings” on her neck and “small scratches” on her arms. Online records show Herrera has pleaded not guilty to charges of simple assault and knowingly causing bodily injury and is next due in court June 17.  Related News MLB trade rumors: Phillies deal for Jay Bruce ‘is complete’last_img read more