Police puzzlingly disregard professional lead in murder of journalist and indigenous comunity leader

first_img MexicoAmericas News Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out more Organisation Reporters Without Borders said it was horrified by the murder in Oaxaca State in southern Mexico of Raúl Marcial Pérez, editorialist on regional daily El Gráfico, whose death brings to nine the number of journalists killed in Mexico since the start of the year.The worldwide press freedom organisation said it was surprised at the conduct of the police investigation which from the start had ruled out a link to his work as the motive.“The murder of Raúl Marcial Pérez closes a particularly grim year for the Mexican press with three journalists missing and nine killed, two of them in Oaxaca State, where the media is paying a high price for a crackdown against social unrest there in the past two years,” the organisation added.“We are appalled that the investigation into this murder is discounting the professional motive, even though colleagues at the daily he worked for, El Gráfico, stressed that he had exposed human rights abuses committed recently by supporters of the governor, Ulíses Ruiz Ortiz. “Might they be trying to cover this one up, as happened previously in the investigation into the murder of Indymedia cameraman Brad Will, on 27 October?” it asked. “We have good reasons to believe so”.Armed men burst into the offices of El Gráfico in Juxtlahuaca, an indigenous area in Oaxaca State, on 8 December, and opened fire on Marcial Pérez, who was killed instantly. A lawyer, María de Jesús, who was talking with the journalist at the time, was wounded but her injuries are not life-threatening. Twenty .22 and 9mm calibre cartridges were later recovered at the scene. Marcial Pérez had worked for the daily for ten years and wrote a tri-weekly column, “El otro lado de la moneda” (The other side of the coin). Editor Issac Olmedo said, “Raúl was highly critical of the Ulíses Ruiz Ortiz government (whose resignation is being called for by the Oaxaca protestors). He had lately focused most of his articles on the Oaxaca unrest naming those responsible for the conflict.Olmedo also stressed to the organisation that that in view of his activities as an indigenous leader, investigators had quickly ruled out the professional lead. NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state News May 5, 2021 Find out more to go further News May 13, 2021 Find out more Marcial Pérez was the founder of the indigenous organisation, the Social Welfare Unity of the Triqui region (UBISORT), but had left its leadership two years ago. This organisation was in conflict with another, the Unification Movement of the Triqui Struggle (MULT).The murder in 1999 of the secretary general of UBISORT was blamed on MULT. The lead being followed in the Marcial Pérez killing is that the journalist could have fallen victim to the same kind of score-settling. However, he had distanced himself from UBISORT and since the outbreak of social unrest in Oaxaca, indigenous organisations had joined forces to call for the governor’s resignation.In a separate development, the governor’s supporters announced on 11 December that they were lifting a siege of the daily Noticias de Oaxaca, which had is work hampered and its premises occupied since 17 June 2005. Receive email alerts Follow the news on Mexico Reports MexicoAmericas December 12, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police puzzlingly disregard professional lead in murder of journalist and indigenous comunity leader RSF_en last_img read more

KICKBOXING LK CELEBRATES FIVE YEARS…OF KICKS!

first_imgSince Kickboxing LK opening in January 2009 it has gone from strength to strength under the expert eye of commonwealth, european and two weight professional world kickboxing champion and professional mixed martial arts champion Tommy ‘The Ghost’ Mc Cafferty.The club, now entering its fifth year, has already created a few success stories with members losing mass amounts of weight, gaining confidence and even picking up a few irish titles along the way, the club currently boasts two senior Irish full contact champions in Letterkenny’s own Brian Crossan and Lifford native Ronnie Brennan.Although the club has had a lot of success on the competative circuit it’s not all about that side of things. Tommy believes the bulk of the clubs members are there to keep fit and loose weight. “We have a lot of people that compete and our junior team is one of the best in the country at the minute but I find the vast majority of our members don’t fight or have no intention of fighting they just enjoy the training,” he says.“At the club you can two birds with the one stone, you are getting fit and losing weight but you are also learning a very good skill set for self defence.“In the normal classes there is a lot of cardio,core-work and a lot of padwork with people burning 800+ calories in the hour,the normal classes has no contact as we keep fighters classes seperate so people can get the most out of their training no matter what their goal is,we give people the choice of getting weigh-ins, body fat measurements and nutritional advice so they can keep track of their progress towards their goals but this isn’t compulsory.“The atmosphere in the club is relaxed and fun but everyone pushes hard and encourages each other.” The martial art of Muay Thai has also arrived – with people travelling from all over the North West for classes.For further details check outwww.tommymccafferty.comwww.facebook.com/kickboxinglkKICKBOXING LK CELEBRATES FIVE YEARS…OF KICKS! was last modified: January 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:kickboxinglktommy mccaffertylast_img read more

Education Ministry to Deploy ‘Specialist Model’ Experts to 35 Primary Schools

first_img This was announced by the Ministry’s Region One Education Services Director, Dr. Kasan Troupe, who indicated that the initiative will be rolled at the start of the 2018/19 academic year, in September. In order to better prepare students for high school, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information will be assigning experts to 35 primary schools, under a pilot programme titled the ‘Specialist Model’, to assist youngsters experiencing numeracy and literacy challenges to overcome these. Story Highlights She was speaking at the launch of and stakeholder meeting for Quality Education Circle (QEC) 8 at Duhaney Park Gospel Assembly in St. Andrew on Friday (May 4), under the theme ‘Creating Tomorrow Together’. In order to better prepare students for high school, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information will be assigning experts to 35 primary schools, under a pilot programme titled the ‘Specialist Model’, to assist youngsters experiencing numeracy and literacy challenges to overcome these.This was announced by the Ministry’s Region One Education Services Director, Dr. Kasan Troupe, who indicated that the initiative will be rolled at the start of the 2018/19 academic year, in September.She was speaking at the launch of and stakeholder meeting for Quality Education Circle (QEC) 8 at Duhaney Park Gospel Assembly in St. Andrew on Friday (May 4), under the theme ‘Creating Tomorrow Together’.Dr. Troupe said the specialist model programme aims to ensure that student outturns for the Ministry’s numeracy and literacy targets are improved, and that youngsters entering high schools are better equipped and prepared to manage secondary curriculums.She said the project’s implementation was promoted by high school administrators’ concerns about the low levels of mastery in numeracy and literacy recorded by some students leaving Grade Six.“They (high schools) are complaining (about) the quality that they are getting (and that) they (some primary schools students) are not ready for high schools. When we (Ministry) look at the (literacy and) numeracy (scores), we (too) are concerned. (So) we are fixing it from the early stage… (by deploying the) specialists… into our (primary) schools,” she stated.Additionally, Dr. Troupe said the Ministry is targeting a reduction in the student-teacher classroom ratio as a response to the issue.“Gone are the days, where we gave teachers a 1:35 ratio. We are now saying that for every 25 students, you are entitled to an additional teacher (and) we are ready to provide that kind of resource to the system,” she said.The Regional Director also advised that the Ministry will be focusing more on implementing co-teaching in primary schools, to enable more students to get individual attention.“When you look at the countries that are doing well, (such as) Singapore (and) Finland, (their) schools have the culture of co-teaching. So we want to change our culture… (and) we are open to co-teaching,” Dr. Troupe said.QEC concept, which was introduced in 2009 under the Ministry’s aegis, aims to mobilize wide-scale stakeholder participation in the thrust to drive improvements in schools.It entails diverse groups of school administrators creating a learning circle for professionals in education from different levels of the academic system (early childhood, primary, secondary and tertiary) within a particular constituency or geographic zone.Through this concept, educators and other stakeholders meet to: share best practices, discuss challenges, propose solutions, assess progress made and celebrate resulting achievements.QEC 8 comprises 15 schools from the two constituencies, west central and western St. Andrew.last_img read more